February is almost over and spring is just around the corner. Getting a head start on your spring cleaning will have your home feeling fresh and new in preparation for the change of seasons, no matter if you’re preparing to sell or staying put.
Here’s a checklist of the spring cleaning tasks you’ll want to tackle before the trees bud.
Inside your home:
- Kitchen cabinets- If they aren’t already on your weekly list to wipe down, now is the time. Make sure to open them up to get the very top as dust and grease have a habit of accumulating there.
- Wood floors- Sweeping is a weekly chore but wet-cleaning your hardwood floors should be done once every two months. This is especially true after winter when snow and salt is tracked through the house from outside. Be sure to move any furniture or rugs to get a complete clean.
- Carpets- Vacuuming doesn’t always get your carpets clean. Using a carpet shampooer is the best way to guarantee a full clean. You can go the professional route to take this chore off your hands or rent a cleaning machine and turn it into a DIY project.
- Dusting- An overall dusting of every surface in your home is a must. Think of places that you don’t spend time looking at, such as ceiling fans, crown molding, baseboards, ceiling corners, tops of cabinets and bookcases.
Outside your home:
- Power wash- Take the time to power was your deck, siding, patio or any other surface that has collected dirt over the past few months. This will make the exterior of your home look shiny and new.
- Clean gutters- This is important especially with “spring showers” coming soon. Make sure your gutters are clear of any late falling leaves and that they aren’t clogged.
- Clean outdoor light fixtures- Wipe down all your exterior lights, including those solar path lights. Snow has the tendency to leave a layer of film on glass. Make sure the outside of your home is clearly lit with clean lights.
- Overall maintenance- The beginning of spring is a great time to take inventory of the exterior of your home. Check for broken shingles, bricks, siding and put it on your to-do list to fix immediately.
Follow us on Twitter for more Spring time tips!